Why Hire Technical Writers
A company needs to hire Technical Writers when it has a need to convey complex technical information and specifications to an audience with a low amount of engineering and/or technical education. Technical Writers take the technical specifications from R&D departments and turn them into user manuals and other information for a consumer audience.
Technical Writer Job Responsibilities
Technical Writers are expected to:
- Read, understand, and interpret technical manuals, blueprints, and other technical and engineering documentation.
- Produce user guides, manuals, and other written materials for a consumer audience
- Simplify language and make directions understandable to a wide range of consumer groups.
Technical Writer Experience Needed
Generally, a typical candidate for this position should have:
- At least an Associate’s degree in Technical Writing, English, or a similar field; Highly skilled writers with an educational background in Engineering can also be considered
- At least one year of experience with producing technical writing; These positions can be good entry-level positions.
Technical Writer Salary
The average salary for a Technical Writer is approximately $55,000 a year. It’s important to note, however, that salaries are dependent on job locations and the writer’s experience. For this reason, salaries can range from $39,000 to $82,000.