There are several job points to consider when hiring such a position. Some of the responsibilities of the professional includes:
- Maintain the local-area network (LAN) within the facility
- Configure and install new workstations around the office
- Create user accounts for new hires
- Install, maintain and update system-wide software
- Implement mass storage space, either through local storage or cloud based storage (or both)
- Protect the network to avoid the spread of viruses
- Work directly with CIO/CTO in determining best software/hardware requirements for the office.
When hiring a new Systems Administrator, there are a few hiring points you want to look into. This includes:
- Advanced degree in computer science
- Understanding of current and next generation computer technology
- Self starter and self motivated
- Skills with Microsoft Office
In general, the average Systems Administrator makes just over $59,000. This average does increase to around $84,000 based on location and size of the company.