Proofreaders are expected to:
- Read, understand, and interpret the written material produced by web content writers, technical writers, and other content producers
- Find and correct technical, factual, and grammatical errors in many different types of written material
- Simplify language for a wide range of consumer groups
Generally, a typical candidate for this position should have:
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Writing, English, or Editing
- Two to five years of experience with proofreading and editing; a Master’s degree may substitute for work experience
The average salary for a Proofreader is highly dependent upon the size of the company and the magnitude of work. In general, however, the average compensation per year is $47,000. Benefits typically include health insurance and access to a company-sponsored retirement plan.